Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Padua, Italy

My life is now complete ... We took a day trip from Venice to nearby Padua, and I got to see Giotto's Arena Chapel (aka Capella degli Scrovegni)!!!!! For those of you who haven't heard of this late Medieval fabulousness (and who care) you can go here and see the frescoes that decorate the interrior. My mentor in college was a Giotto scholar, and so I took several classes centering on his work, thus the big deal for me.

Here's me, outside the Capella (they, of course, don't allow pictures inside)
Thank goodness that this was taken from far away, because I have this problem where I get really emotional and cry when I see stuff like this ...
Also in Padua is the Basilica di Sant'Antonio, which is really dome-y and actually has the remains of Saint Antonio within. It is actually a fairly active pilgrimage site, with tons of vendors selling religious kitch outside, and lots and lots of flowers and etc left in front of the tomb...
Look, I'm large and made of brick!

2 Comments:

  • She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly... err.. umm...

    Anyways, love the photos!

    By Blogger Ken, at 11:10 PM  

  • Awe...I'll have to ask you about these things in Padua. I know nothing about them, and you are clearly the lady to talk to.

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home