Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Slight Tragedy

Here's what's fun: biking in the beautiful wine country of France.

Here's what's not fun: being run off the road by a overzealous French motorist. It also doesn't help if there happens to be a wall in the way when you are run off of the aforementioned road.

I hurt myself:


But from my sad little event I have learned a useful lesson: Pharmacies in France do EVERYTHING. They even have a little doctor's examining room. The nice ladies in the Beaune Pharmacie cleaned me up, fitted me up with bandages and supplies, and even gave me a strange homeopathic cure thingie that I was supposed to take to reduce swelling*. Since the incident, I've had mixed reactions from the French, the best being from a boy of about 8, who looked at me and said in this tone of great admiration: You hurt yourself!! I think the implication being that I must have done it while playing ... which I did.

*Which I did take, even though it seemed really sketchy. Hey, if anyone knows what 'Arnica Montana' is, and why you can't touch it - it comes in a special dispenser bottle - and have to 'hold it under your tounge' to take it, please let me know.

2 Comments:

  • Ahh...yes...French boys and their desire for scars. :) I hope you're feeling better!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 AM  

  • How Does Arnica Montana Affect Bruising & Swelling? How Does It Work?
    "Arnica encourages white blood cell activity therefore hastening the removal of the blood and fluids which cause bruising and swelling. Some say that the arnica does this by causing a low grade inflammation in the body to stimulate an autonomic state of healing in the body."

    This product is often misunderstood when confused with ingesting the arnica plant in its raw form. Raw arnica can cause stomach irritation and even internal bleeding.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home