Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Siena, Tuscany

Siena, is a gorgeous gorgeous city, and the perfect combination of art and big things to climb up! The city just seems steeped in tradition, and is also just architecturally charming. My friend Amelia just went to the famous horse race "Il Palio" here (which I missed by a couple of weeks, and sounds wonderful, but I don't think would have been a good first trip for me to this city as there's so much that I wanted to see already!)

It just seems like everywhere you go, there's a great view.
Here's the view of the main piazza and the palazzo publico from a tower atop the Duomo's museum:
And here's a view of the City from a cafe just a stone's throw from our hotel:
I remember the food being really good there, but honestly it could have just been the scenery.

And yes, of course there was fabulous art. Here is me, illegally depicted in complete awe before Duccio's masterpiece, the Maesta:

Remember what I said about tradition?? Well, Bridget and I kept running into these mini "parades" that usually involved guys with drums and flags doing elaborate routines (practicing, I assume, for events like Il Palio). They are from different districts (or "contrade") in the city, and each has a different symbol. We actually literally broke up a parade with our cab on the way into the city.
These guys seemed pretty macho, and their symbol is the goose:

2 Comments:

  • Wow...I just read Amelia's account of the race. First, I must admit I've never heard of this race. Second...I didn't understand most of the words used to describe the race (what's a contrada?). Nevertheless, it all sounds fascinating, and lots of fun to be there in the city.

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 1:17 AM  

  • Hi, I've just read your post, if you're interested in Palio di Siena take a look at my blog with lots of 2005 pics. Ciao...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home