Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Nürnberg, Bavaria, Germany

Last weekend I ventured out on my own to visit some towns in Northern Bavaria ... it was a fun experience to travel truely all by myself, but I notice that when left alone I get to be a little too much "in my own head" as it were. I clearly need friends with me to stop me from doing things like starting at 12th century liturgical vestments for hours on end...

Nürnberg (Nuremberg to you and me) was quite beautiful, despite having been heavily damaged in WWII. The town was great to walk through, but even more impressive were the collections of art objects in the Churches and Museums...

The Lorenzkirche was absolutely decked with impressive
15th century wooden interrior decoration

Here's me, by the Medieval Hospital
(you can't go in it now, because it is a retirement home,
because nothing says "relax in peace and quiet" like "Medieval Hospital")

The Germanisches Nationalmuseum is housed in Nuremburg and was simply amazing!
Among many other wonderful things, they have the actual cover of the Codex Aureus!
I seriously almost cried it was so cool:

And finally, I tried one of Nuremburg's culinary specialities:
The tiniest Bratwurst in Bavaria...

1 Comments:

  • You know, Anna, it is not the size of the bratwurst, it is how succulent it is.

    The kraut looks good. I miss real sauerkraut.

    By Blogger ARM, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home