Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Salzburg, Austria

After a lovely stay in Vienna, Meaghan and I headed west to Salzburg. This small city is filled with beautiful buildings, early baroque churchs, and lots and lots of tourists. Despite the clogged streets, it still managed to be charming...
Here we are on the bridge to the old town ...
you can vaguely see the fortress on the hill in the background

Being intrepid explorers, we climbed all the way up to the fortress on the huge rocky escarpment surrounding Salzburg ...
It was very steep, and the day was really hot, but the view was amazing!

As many of you may know, Salzburg is Mozart's home town ... and this year is his 250th birthday ... this combines into a Mozart-palooza of almost epic proportions. I feared for my life.
Here I am, in front of a very typical tasteful display window
This store mainly sells, I kid you not, Mozart Balls.
The less mature among us (me) find this very funny


Here's Meaghan in front of a much more restrained homage to the composer,
on the aptly, albeit somewhat mundanely, named "Mozartplatz"

And finally, here I am on the Fortress Ramparts,
being vastly overshadowed by the beautiful Alps

2 Comments:

  • ..."The Hills are alive...with the sound of Music!"

    Salzburg is where Maria Von Trapp is from, right? That, and Vermont, but I think Salzburg is the more interesting of the two (I've been to the Vermont Von Trapp lodge...a giant Swiss chalet like structure in the middle of dairy land...scary).

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 3:33 PM  

  • Oh yes, Meaghan and I narrowly avoided going on the "Sound of Music Tour" and Meaghan wouldn't allow me to sing "the lonely goatheard" more than a few times, so we had a (relatively) VonTrapp-free visit to Salzburg. This is harder than one might think.

    By Blogger Anna, at 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home