Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Berchtesgaden, Germany

Meaghan and I had a day to spare around Salzburg (because everything in that town, including the cheesy kitsch stores, is closed on Sunday) so we decided to take the train up into the Alps to the town of Berchtesgaden. We decided to visit Berchtesgaden because:
1. The train goes there
2. It is one of the only towns around here actually mentioned in my book, and
3. It was free (the train station guy gave us both free day passes, I can only assume due to our obviously astounding intellect)
This town is very cute, nestled right up in the mountains, and in winter is a ski resort. Also, it's famed for being the location of Hitler's vacation lodge, Eagle's Next, which we didn't have time to visit.*

Here's the main square of this little old town:

I swear, this bridge is too cute to actually exist.
(we had to climb the hill behind it to actually get to the town -
this had not been part of our plans - I was not pleased)


And finally, a glimpse of the gorgeous views that constantly surround you while you wander through the village!


*I believe I remember a story, told to me by a friend of mine who shall only be known as "Dave", involving a long and fruitless hike up a not-very-interesting mountainside, which cautioned me against ever EVER trying to hike up to the "Eagle's Nest" on my own. I hope that I've got this story right, and if I do, Dave, I hope you're proud.

3 Comments:

  • My pride floweth over.

    Yes, the story is more or less accurate. Normally buses run up and down the hill to the Eagle's Nest, but the buses don't typically run in the winter months when the Eagle's Nest is closed, so your only option is to hike up this long, narrow, winding road where buses* come flying around blind bends and nearly kill everyone in their path. Unfortunately, because the Eagle's Nest is, as I mentioned earlier, closed for much of the winter, all you get out of the experience is a several hour hike (each way) and a pretty view.

    *What's that? You thought the buses weren't running? Yeah. That's what we thought too.

    By Blogger Dave, at 9:47 AM  

  • ANNA!!! HELLO FROM AMERICA!! HOW IS THE FATHERLAND?!? I NEED AN XL, A M, AND AN L IN TERMS OF WORLDCUP TSHIRTS, I"LL PAY YOUR POOR ASS BACK!!!

    ECHO, ECHO, ECHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 AM  

  • Ok, seriously, I can got whoever whatever they may want in terms of Worlcup T shirts ... there is no shortage as of yet ... however you are going to have to tell me who you are. Good first step.

    By Blogger Anna, at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home