Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The hidden joys of the academic conference...

So, I've recently discovered for myself what Bridget has been telling me for weeks: the best part of a conference has nothing to do with the conference proper, and everything to do with what you do afterwards ... getting tipsy and embarrassing yourself in public with your colleagues is actually key in any networking that you might wish to do at these events.

Here, Bridget networks ON the bar in a Country Western place* after a hard day at the Organics Conference

And voila Amy, Marion and I after the Kingston Medievalists conference doing a back-up dance at Kereoke-night at the local Irish pub:


What's really great about these two pictures is that in BOTH of these pictures cropping was necessary to omit other individuals who forever wish to remain nameless after their embarrassing antics ... Oh yes, oh yes.

*Many thanks to Andy, without whom Bridget's picture would not be available for mass consumption. I have a great picture of him singing which I choose not to post in gratitude for the fabulous picture of my girlfriend breakin' it down.
*Also thanks to Lisa for taking the pictures of the amazing Kereoke event; without you, we wouldn't have evidence...

4 Comments:

  • Um... where do I begin? 1) an ORGANICS conference?? 2) You *must* make it to the medieval conference at Kalamazoo at some point - they have a dance in the gym. Where else can you see the contents of your entire bibliography breaking it down with total abandon for their reputation? 3) my Vagantes conference last weekend, alas, did not involve karaoke, but we serve mimosas for the Sunday morning panel!

    By Blogger Meels, at 7:38 PM  

  • Sigh...I think I miss the academic world. I haven't been to a conference since starting my job four years ago. I'm going to one in April in Vilnius, so I'll report on whether or not people in my line of work get drunk and dance the night away. I'm hoping they do.

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 1:05 PM  

  • Amy and I have evil twins? Or are we the evil ones? Does Canada constitute an alternate universe now?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:44 AM  

  • When did Canada not constitute an alternate universe?

    So... Bridget dancing on the bar at a Country Western place? I knew that was something I liked about her*. Yeeehaw!

    *Depite never having met her.

    By Blogger Dave, at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home