Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Canadia ... scandalized!!

Okay ... so I assume everyone has heard of the NHL gambling scandal unfolding before our eager eyes. As one can probably imagine, Canadians are being driven to distraction by this unfortunate development. But this raises a question for me ...

I've never really been a Hockey Fan* but I really need to know if the following factoid is a "Canadian" thing: On the news here, they actually refer to Wayne Gretzky as "The Great One". They don't even say his name. That's seriously all they call him: The Great One.

Is this normal?? Have I been missing something?? Or am I really living in a strange and foreign land!?!?
Hail Oh Mighty Great One!


*Shhhh, Don't tell the Canadians, knowledge like this this could endanger my otherwise happy existence in Ontario ....

3 Comments:

  • Well, that's his nickname and it sure as shit beats calling him "Wayne."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 AM  

  • Jeez, we don't even refer to Brett Favre as "the great one" in Wisconsin. And it clearly shows a lack of greatness in Canada if there is only one "great one" in the entire country. What about Alan Thicke and non-Wendy's Dave Thomas? Aren't they great too?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:49 AM  

  • Hey Anna...I did know that Wayne is "The Great One." Of course, Lauren and I used to hang out at hockey practice for the Colorado College Tigers. We were hockey groupies. I was more of a tag-along groupie, there for the cute guys.

    Does that make me a groupie, groupie?

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home