Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Friday, April 27, 2007

Salisbury and Stonehenge, United Kingdom

Having exhausted myself wandering the streets of London, I decided to try the same thing in nearby Salisbury for a change. The town was charming, and the Cathedral for which it is famous was suitably impressive.

Cuteness abounds in the intact Cathedral Close:
(I think the tangled wisteria just pushes this little vingette right over the top)


Makes one want to learn about Early English Gothic, yes no?


The attached cloister:


I'm very into vaulting these days ... look how happy I am!


Okay, okay, I confess: I came out here for Stonehenge and invented a plausible Medieval excuse to see it. Sue me. For more information about Stonehenge and how and why it was created, please view this Eddie Izzard sketch.*


Cue the mysterious New Agey music and the smoke machines...


This is me, before I donned my long druidic robes and processed around chanting proto-Celtic exortations to the Gods of the heavenly spheres.
(They didn't allow pictures of that part of the tour, sadly)


Stoney!!



*In reference to Eddie's comments, it turns out there really WAS a woodhenge, built at the same site about 1000 years before all the stones were dragged there and set up. Weird.

2 Comments:

  • You know, for some people old stones are a source of sure delight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 PM  

  • Ooo...the Mummer's Dance is playing in my mind. :) I never made it to Stonehenge and would really like to see it sometime. Are you going to Bath?? Yet another place I'm dying to see. Not that the famous costume museum has anything to do with that.

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home