Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Monday, October 04, 2004

Old Lady Hit-and-Run

Anyone who has been hit by a car lately raise their hand … oh oh!! pick me!! pick me!!

As I was walking along 37th street, this woman, who was clearly over 70, wearing those gigantic wrap-around sunglasses (it was 7 pm), sped out of an alleyway, stopped abruptly at the street, and tapped me in the leg with her car.

It wasn’t so much painful as shocking, and I sort of staggered back and just looked at her, and she looked at me, and I had the astounding thought: “that woman just hit me with her car …”. And then she just peeled out into the street and drove away.

I mean, I live in DC … I guess I should have just been expecting it, right?

UPDATE: Thanks so much to everyone for their concern, but I'm really okay ... I only posted this because it was such a weird thing to have happen. I wish I could do something more about the driver (who is a menace), but at the time the shock eliminated any significant details from my mind.

3 Comments:

  • Don't worry, I was not injured ... mostly I was just astounded.
    And I did think about calling the popo, but then I realized that all I really could do was describe an old lady in sunglasses. At the time I was too startled to do intelligent things like "notice the license plate" or even "yell incensed comments at the woman as she drove away"
    Next time I'll do better ... I swear

    By Blogger Anna, at 9:49 AM  

  • OHMIGOSH Anna!!! Yikes. I don't see you for a few days, and you start throwing yourself in front of moving vehicles. ;)

    But seriosly: that's scary!! I can't believe the woman just drove off!!! Old lady or not, that's inexcusible. And I insist: the slightest twinge, and you should go have it checked out. My mom broke her finger last week, but just found out this weekend when she finally decided to go to a Doctor (she thought she'd just bruised it).

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 1:10 PM  

  • I say we get a couple beach chairs and a good bottle of wine and we stake out the corner where you were hit. Maybe the wrapper or wrap-eye will pass by again and we'll nab her - would be fun trying anyway. Have you had the leg checked out? Could promise more parking lot fun! love ya, B

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home