Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Friday, November 12, 2004

"There is no God for me but Vengeance!!!" -Count de Luna

Opera is awesome. Thanks to my “inside connections” (read: Christina, you rock!) I had the opportunity to see “Il Trovatore” at the Kennedy Center last night (with my hot dates, Connie and Dan)

It was great, and I’ve decided that the best part to play is actually the jealous Count de Luna. Not only did the baritone playing the count have an amazing voice, but he got to spout lines like: “I am exhilarated by my passion that shall soon be quenched*”. I’d take that over the famous aria the poncey troubadour (rival to the count) gets in the third act any day.

One thing Dan pointed out: at certain points in the opera, the characters seem to be transported from a civil war in Spain to the dreaded “fire swamp” from the Princess Bride. Jets of flame literally jumped from the floor at completely unexpected and random intervals … it was enough to make you wonder when the ROUSes were going to make an appearance.

Rodents of Unusual Size??
*okay okay, so I don’t remember exactly what he said, but if you get the libretto, I guarantee the real lines are much much better.

3 Comments:

  • You said nothing of the amazing 10-second denouement!

    I think Verdi just got tired of writing the music.

    Yay for Opera.

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:50 AM  

  • Bitch, I told you I would avenge my momma!

    By Blogger Dan, at 3:35 PM  

  • You know .... I think Jerry Springer IS an opera ....

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home