Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

My robot dog army would not play soccer.

So, this is what Sony does with its vast technological research into robots: it enters puppies into the Robocup, an international soccer championship with the ultimate goal of creating robots that can defeat human players*.

Robocup was created “In an attempt to foster AI and intelligent robotics research by providing a standard problem where a wide range of technologies can be integrated and examined” .

This is all well and good, but how is soccer the right answer to this dilemma?? Here, right off the bat I’ll give you a much better “Standard Problem” to test the boundries of AI research: how about taking over the World????

Clearly these people have no vision. Seriously, what were they thinking??

Sony's soccer puppies:
They are far too cute, and are clearly in need glowing red death-laser eyes or something



*yeah yeah, I'm sure Sony does other stuff with it's vast technological research, and after further consideration, I've decided that these little guys are actually pretty cute. My birthday is coming up, if anyone is in need of lavish gift ideas.

Thanks to Slate for making my life more interesting

2 Comments:

  • All I want is some friggin' dogs with some friggin' laser beams! Is that so much to ask for Number 2?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 PM  

  • I think robot dog army would be a great name for a band.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home