Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Thursday, May 12, 2005

God I love the 21st Century, life is so cool:

I know I haven’t blogged for a while, but you can all rest easy knowing that I’ve been a busy busy girl, installing these pneumatic elevators for my parents.

I think one can measure quality of life improvement by how our lives get to be more like the Jetsons:

Okay, I suppose I haven’t … but wouldn’t it be awesome if I had? These things are seriously cool, and I’m particularly intrigued by the “Exceptional price and value” that they describe on their website.

o No costly excavation, hatch or machine room to install .
o Tax benefits
o Increases the resale value to your existing home and can be moved to your new one
o Virtually no maintenance cost nor any lubrication required

Two comments: When getting a new elevator I know one of my primary concerns is lubrication. Thank god they’ve taken that weight off of my mind. And also, what “tax benefits” are they talking about? Is this one of those ways that I can get into deep hoo-hoo with the IRA?

5 Comments:

  • I want one. Yes, we live in a single story aparment. No, we're not allowed to do major modifications like this. No, I don't have any need for one, but I want one because... umm... they're cool and stuff?

    Oh, and the "tax benefit" they're refering to is the medical expense claim that anyone can take. Basically, if you can get a doctor's note saying that you have a medical condition that requires you to have an elevator installed in your home, you can take a tax deduction for any expense above 7.5% of your gross income. Or is it your net income... hmm... maybe it's adjusted income...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:49 PM  

  • That looks like the laziest damn thing ever. I mean unless you're wheelchair-bound or something, but the way that looks, it seems like a wheelchair wouldn't fit in it. Still cool though, lazy, but cool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:47 PM  

  • Hmm... it says it's "impossible to fall." I feel like there must be SOME way for the elevator to fall.

    By Blogger Dan, at 8:31 AM  

  • Davin Said....

    Anna. I don't think elevators will get you in trouble with the Irish Republican Army unless you plan on informing to those English shites. Perhaps the Internal Revenue Service pookie??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 AM  

  • There was actually an article in the newspaper about these (and actually other related competing versions).

    It turns out that these cost about $12,000 to install, and that is the same price difference between a ranch with the same square footage as a two story home (with a ranch being more).

    That is, if the big thing that makes you want a ranch over a two story home of the same size is the stairs, you can get one of these things added to your two story home and virtually eliminate the stairs. In the end, it's just as much as a ranch.

    By Blogger Ted Pavlic, at 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home