Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Monday, May 30, 2005

Neighborhood Tourism

In an effort to see more of the neighborhood that I'm staying in (read: because Lissa is brilliant, and suggested it) I visited the Summer Palace of King Jan III Sobieski, which was origionally built in 1677, but has been changed (and destroyed and rebuilt) a lot since then.

To give you an idea of how much this really is in my neighborhood, here's the southerly view from Lissa and Dave's apartment (note the professional way in which I've marked the location of the palace):

Ack! Huge red arrow attacks Wilanow Palace!!


The palace tour was interesting, but given the history of the palace, a lot of the furnishings were either contrived or borrowed. What was most notable were the extensive wall frescoes that were uncovered during the renovations of the palace. Most of the rooms were entirely covered in themed wall and ceiling paintings, intended to evoke an Italian Villia (which the palace was origionally designed to represent).

A much better view of The Palace:


It was a gorgeous day, although extremely hot (which surprises me about Poland) and very bright. Note my total overcompensation for the day with my hat and sunglasses ... next I'm going to write "tourist" in sunscreen on my shoulders.

Me, in the sunny gardens of Wilanow

1 Comments:

  • Anna isn't telling you that secretly, I don't live in an apartment in Warsaw. The Palace is actually my home, a typical residence for new low ranking diplomats (uh...right...you should see where my boss lives). I think we'd better get around to hiring a gardner for the garden...

    So, everyone should come visit us in Warsaw!

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home