Snap Judgments for the Undeserving

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Say what?

One of my most recent projects in conjection with school has been to learn German. This is going surprisingly well, although I'm not sure how useful this will end up being (I can say my phone number in German, but can I read an exhibition catalogue from Vienna?).

Now, I suppose I could just use a translator like babelfish and try to muddle through, but then my intern brought this (below) to my attenion, and I've decided that I may just make an effort in my German class after all ...

"Lost in translation" shows you just how accurate those online translation thingies are. It's perversly fun because it shows you all the stages of translation, so you can see where things go hideously wrong :)
Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar...

2 Comments:

  • I need to go look up what a 'sigaro' is in English!! Don't you love errors in translations that go horribly wrong?? Like saying you're embarrassed in Spanish, or using the word for kiss as a very in french??

    By Blogger Costume Diva, at 1:08 AM  

  • That would be Intern. I am a professional, after all.

    The Intern

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home